48th Old Boys Reunion -2017
48 TH REUNION DAY (OBA) – 08 July 2017
SPONSORED BY THE 1992 BATCH
1. This years’ OBA reunion was conducted on 08 July 2017 with a turnout of 358 OBs including the sponsoring batch (1992). The various activities by the sponsoring batch and other events that were conducted during reunion day are appended in the succeeding paragraphs:
PROGRAM BY SPONSORING BATCH OF 1992
06 July 2017
1600 -2100 hrs – Entertainment Program for the Cadets and Staff
2. The Chief Guest for the event was SSKZMOBA President Cdr Sam T Samuel (Retd) (637/75). The OBA Endowment prizes were awarded to excelling cadets by the President. In his address, he congratulated the prize winners and also the school for the academic performance. He further reminisced on his days in SSKZM as a student. Shri Prakash P (2103/92) rendered the vote of thanks. He appreciated the role of the school administration in assisting the batch of ‘92 with their Silver Jubilee Projects. A tea was arranged for everyone at Maj Satish Chandran SM Gallery, which was followed by an entertainment program, sponsored by the batch of 1992 for the cadets and staff that included Karaoke, Ganamela, Mimicry, Comedy Skit and a Mentalist performance.
PROGRAMME ON REUNION DAY
08 July 2017
0700h - Alumni arrive at School Campus
3. Alumni started arriving in the Campus as early as 0700h. A total of 358 alumni (including batch of ‘92) registered at the counter. The sponsoring batch (1992 batch) was in full strength with as many as 45 members with their family members attending. Rs 79,600/- was collected as registration fee. Thank you, 1992 batch, for attending in full strength.
0800h – Homage at the Hut of Remembrance and Hoisting of the OBA Flag
4. Along with the batch of 1992 and other Old Boys present, the group led by the President SSKZM OBA paid homage at the Hut of Remembrance – dedicated to the memory of all departed Old Boys. Subsequently, the SSKZM OBA President Cdr Sam T Samuel (Retd) (637/75) hoisted the OBA Flag.
5. After hoisting of the OBA Flag, the batch of 1992 marched towards the School Foyer led by Shri Sagar PM (2262/92)
0845h – Arrival of the Chief Guest and Guard of Honour
6. Lt Gen Cherish Mathson SM, VSM (734/76) was the Chief Guest. He was received by the Principal Col A Rajiv (2053/90) and Vice Principal Lt Cdr Parichay Kalra along with the OBA President Cdr Sam T Samuel (Retd) (637/75)
0900h- Wreath Laying Ceremony by the Chief Guest
7. The Chief Guest laid a wreath at the Stupa of Remembrance in memory of those alumni who laid down their lives in the service of the nation. The batch of 1992 marched towards the Stupa of Remembrance led by Shri Sagar PM (2262/92). They along other OBs and family members present stood audience to the Guard of Honour, wreath laying and paid respect to the martyrs.
8. Subsequently, the Chief Guest paid homage to the School Founder Shri VK Krishna Menon in the Foyer, Col NJ Nair AC KC in the North Wing, Capt Harshan AC in the South Wing and to 2/Lt R M Naresh and Maj S Chandran SM in the Central Triangle.
0920h - Commemoration Meeting at Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial Auditorium
9. The commemoration meeting started with the Presidential welcome and address. In his address, the OBA President Cdr Sam T Samuel (Retd) (637/75), stressed the need for all the old boys to become part of the Association and emphasized the benefits of being a part of this family. This was followed by the distribution of prizes sponsored by the OBA. The Chief Guest Lt Gen Cherish Mathson (734/76) gave away the prizes to the cadets who excelled in various subjects in the previous academic year.
Late PC Satish Chandran Lifetime Achievement Award
10. The following OBs were awarded the Late PC Satish Chandran Lifetime Achievement Award, who excelled in various levels during their illustrious career. The Awards are instituted in memory of PC Satish Chandran (77/67).
1. ROLL NO 15, LT COL BALASUBRAMONIAN A
2. ROLL NO 23, LT GEN ISAAC JOHN KOSHY, AVSM, PVSM (RETD)
3. ROLL NO 50, DR GIRIJA SHANKER KV
4. ROLL NO 80, RAJEEVNATH T
5. ROLL NO 142, DR JACOB EAPEN
6. ROLL NO 210, LT COL JOSEPH SAMUEL K (RETD)
7. ROLL NO 249, LT GEN G M NAIR SM, VSM, AVSM, PVSM (RETD)
Late Fg Offr MP Anil Kumar Memorial Achiever of the Year Award
11. OBA felicitated the following illustrious alumni for their achievements in 2016 with the Late Fg Offr MP Anil Kumar Memorial Achiever Award. The Awards are instituted in memory of MP Anil Kumar (1122/81).
1. ROLL NO 525, CAPT. JOSEKUTTY THOMAS
2. ROLL NO 1758, JALIN K THAMPI
3. ROLL NO 1928, LT COL GIRISH KUMAR B
4. ROLL NO 2057, DR. T AJAYA KUMAR
5. ROLL NO 2103, P PRAKASH
6. ROLL NO 2229, BABU MATHEW
Citation of Appreciation
12. Citation of appreciation was extended to the following Old boys:
1. ROLL NO 1764, LT COL PG SURESH KUMAR
2. ROLL NO 3468, MR ARAVIND
3. ROLL NO 2141, DR ABHIRAM CS
4. ROLL NO 2226, SANTHOSH KUMAR J
5. ROLL NO 2118, JAISON AC
13. The Chief Guest also felicitated one senior master and one GD employee retiring this year:
1. MR. K RAJENDRAN, SENIOR MASTER & MASTER IC OBA
2. SHRI K SOMAN, GENERAL EMPLOYEE
14. Subsequently, in his address, Lt. Gen Cherish Mathson SM, VSM (734/76) urged the students of Sainik School Kazhakoottam to join the Armed Forces for the amount of opportunities it promises. He emphasized that the Armed Forces is the most lucrative career in front of them. He went on to add that the SSKZM campus has something special in its air and soil that makes a Kazhak a leader, a fact reiterated by the record number of high appointments held by the alumni of the school in the armed forces. He further quoted from Gitanjali, the magnum opus by the illustrious Indian poet and Nobel awardee, Rabindranath Tagore “Where the Mind Is Without Fear” The poem has remained a legacy of SSKZM through the years, quoted by many during the morning assemblies and continues to guide many an alumnus in thought and action.
15. Sri. Sagar PM (2262/92) rendered the vote of thanks at the end of the commemoration meeting. He thanked the chief guest for gracing the occasion. He also thanked the OBA president, the entire school authorities, the old boys and their families and the cadets for their support provided and for being part of the 48th OBA reunion.
16. After the vote of thanks, Sri. Rajeev D Menon (2323/92) presented the Guruvandam program, which included a short video covering the visuals of the teaching and non- teaching staff who were working in school during the period 1985 -1992.
17. The chief guest Lt. Gen Cherish Mathson SM, VSM (734/76) inaugurated the project Dhwani completed by batch of 92, which included the renovation of the entire music club and also purchase of new musical instruments and refurbishing of the damaged ones. Thereafter, all members of staff, cadets and alumni moved for tea arranged outside the auditorium at the Maj Satish Chandran SM Gallery.
1200 h- AGB Meeting at Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial Auditorium
18. Minutes attached herewith separately.
1330 h – Handing Over of Kazhak Agro Farm to School
19. The chief guest Lt. Gen Cherish Mathson SM, VSM (734/76) handed over the project ‘Kazhak Agro Farm’ completed by batch of ‘92, to the school in the presence of Principal Col A Rajiv (2053/90). The chief guest and Sri Prakash P (2103/92, Agricultural office who coordinated the project) spoke during the occasion, highlighting the importance of the initiative. The School Vice Principal, masters in charge and the members of the school agricultural club and the batch of ‘92 were also present for the function.
1345 h - Lunch for Alumni, Faculty, Class XII and all Cadet Appointments
20. A grand lunch was organized by SSKZM and the Batch of ‘92 at 2/Lt Radha Mohan Naresh Hall (Cadets’ Mess). A total of 1150 approximately attended the lunch, which included Ex-Masters, OBs, spouses and children. The batch of 1992 organized a carnival for ladies and kids– which included performance by SSKZM Music Club, bouncing castle, clay pot making, mehandi (nail painting, hand painting), caricature, balloon toy making, sculpturing and bangle store. They offered free of cost snacks like popcorn, cotton candy as part of the carnival.
Festival Matches Old Boys vs School Teams
21. The OBA XI emerged victorious in the cricket match against the School XI. The school teams outclassed the alumni teams to win the Volleyball and Basketball matches. The Prizes were distributed in the evening post conclusion of all matches by SSKZM OBA Vice President Shri Soni Somarajan (2186/91). In his address, he congratulated the winners and also the school administration, the cadets, the teachers, non teaching staff and the batch of 92 for putting up a stellar show during the OB Day. The ceremony was followed by tea.
1750h - Departure of all Alumni and Families
22. The old boys dispersed after high tea, promising to return on 23 June 2018 for OB Day 2018
Hoping to meet all of you for the next OB DAY to be held on 23 June 2018
(Sponsored by the batch of 1993)
SSKZMOBA ANNUAL GENERAL BODY MEETING MINUTES
1200 h at the Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial Auditorium on 08/07/2017
Silent Prayer (1 Min) in Memory of Dear Departed
1. The General Body meeting started by observing one-minute silence in memory of our dear departed Alumni, Cadets and Staff. 142 alumni attended the AGBM.
Address by Principal, SSKZM
2. Principal Col. A. Rajiv (2053/90) thanked all the Old Boys for their attendance. In his address, the overall academic and other curricular activities (2016-17) of the school were highlighted. Lt. Cdr G Gireesh, Vice Principal, SSKZM was posted out and Lt. Cdr Parichay Kalra took over his responsibilities in Sept 2016. Additional year of extension was granted to Mr. K Rajendran, Master IC OBA by the Ministry of Defence. He also listed the ongoing/completed infrastructure projects undertaken by the State PWD and Ministry of Defence during the period.
Brief Introduction by OBA President
3. Cdr Sam T Samuel (Retd) (637/75) thanked all OBs, especially the chief guest Lt Gen Cherish Mathson (734/76), the Principal Col A Rajiv (2053/90) and the staff of SSKZM for making the 48th reunion a huge success. He, on behalf of all the OBA SSKZM, also thanked the batch of ‘92 for successfully organizing the reunion and for the efforts to execute all the projects during the last one year. He stressed on the relevance of fruitful discussion during the AGBM to arrive at important decisions. He also requested the participation of all members in the AGBM to implement new ideas and projects.
Presentation on OBA Activities
4. Shri Santosh Kumar J (2226/91) Joint Secretary, SSKZMOBA gave a brief account of the OBA activities undertaken during the year 2016-17. 04 Executive Committee meetings viz 23 OCT’16, 28 JAN’17, 04 APR’17 & 06 JUL’17 were held during the year. Batch of 1974 extended stupendous support to OBA and the School. OBA contacts were fruitfully utilized to acquire a brand new ambulance for the School. Two new savings accounts were opened with the SBI. OBA PAN Card was also obtained. Chapter meetings at Abu Dhabi (20 Jan’17), Vizag (07 May’17), Delhi (07 May’17), Bangalore (14 May’17) and Kottayam (04 July’17) were held. The school authorities corroborated to get the consent of the parents to enroll all 70 Class XII cadets (2016-17) as OBA Life Members.
Presentation by Class Of 1992
5. Shri Anup S (2297/92) Organising Secretary, SSKZMOBA presented the major projects that the batch of 1992 completed during the year 2016-17:
a. Project H 92 O
· Installed water purifier, overhead collection tanks for purified water and waste water drainage units in 11 dormitories
· Installed 1 water purifier and an overhead collection tank for purified water at Sainik LP School
· Installed a waste water drainage unit in school mess
b. Project Dhwani
· Procured new instruments and refurbished the damaged instruments as requested by school
· Renovated the music club room
c. Contributed INR 60,000 to Students Scholarship Fundof which Rs. 27,500/-was transferred to the OBA Scholarship fund.
d. Kazhaks Agro Farm Continued and expanded ‘Project Sanjay Organic Farm’ initiated by ‘91 batch, near school mess. Additionally the batch of ‘92 has done the following in this area:
· Built a Rain Shelter Unit
· Built a Wick Irrigation Unit
· Built a Manure Production Unit
· Taken additional area for cultivation
· Submitted the Project Report to Kerala Agricultural Department
· Obtained a subsidy of Rs. 99,0000/- which will be used by the school for maintaining this project
· Extended Agro Farm near the obstacle court, to include: A fruit orchard with 60 plants of 38 varieties. Everyone from ‘92 batch has planted one fruit plant each. Other crops including cereals, tubers, vegetables and spice crops
e. Ignite sessions Motivational talks were conducted by the following OBs to ignite the cadets to join the defence services:
· Cdr. Praveen T K; 2286/92 (Navy)
· Col. Salil M P; 2283/92 (Army)
· Capt. Jayakumar P; 2284/92 (Navy)
· Gp. Capt. Suraj S; 2291/92 (Air Force)
Presentation by 1993 Batch
6. Capt. Anish A Nair (2382/93) gave a presentation covering their batch’s project execution plan ahead for the next reunion. In consultation with the school authorities, they plan to seek approval of the OBA to implement the following projects:
a. Hockey Pavilion at an estimate cost of 5-6 Lakhs
b. Periodic Table - Fun Learning outside the chemistry lab. in memory of NBN
c. Upgrade and Refurnish the Craft Class- to create an archive to store memorabilia
d. To continue with the Ignite Series
e. Professional Volleyball coaching to the school team to fulfill south zone aspirations
f. The batch also seeks support of the school & OBA to utilize CSR funds to obtain additional learning aids for cadets
Presentation of Audited Statement of Accounts
1. The 2016-17 audited account statements, of OBA and SSKZMOBA was approved by the General Body. With gratitude, the SSKZM OBA acknowledges the receipt of INR 45.169L from the OBA as advance. The fund stands transferred to SSKZM OBA’s two new account heads: Scholarship Fund and General Fund with SBI Kuravankonam Branch. It was also agreed to carry forward the Assets of OBA in new book of accounts. Respective financial statements with audit notes are attached (Annexure I & II)
Proposed OBA Reunion 2018 Date
2. The date suggested by the sponsoring batch of 1993 – 23rd June 2018, Saturday – was unanimously approved by the Annual General Body Meeting.
OBA Website –Updation of Website Data
3. The AGM decided to form a committee to enrich the website database comprising of Wg Cdr TR Padmaraj (2298/93), Shri Swapna Raj R (2367/93), Shri Karthik R Nair (3633/04) and Shri Ajay M (3830/06) to liaise with Shri Prabhasudhan S (3577/04).
Proposal to Amend Objects, Objectives & Bye Laws of SSKZM OBA
4. Presiding Officer of the Committee on Resource Mobilization, Brig Josekutty Kurian (Retd)
(596/74) briefed us on the detailed plan of action to mobilize funds. Four Amendments to Objects, Objectives and Byelaws were proposed during the AGM and all passed with more than 2/3rd majority (Annexure III)
Way Forward- SSKZM OBA: Vision Document Status
5. Vision Document: Way Forward - SSKZM OBA stressed to ensure better participation and interaction among all. Two Teams - Team A (1965-1990) & Team B (1991- 2017) were formed. Around 70% of the contact details of members were achieved through Batch Representatives.
OBA’s Tribute to NBN Sir – Inclusion of New Projects
6. A committee has been set under the chairmanship of Maj Gen KS Venugopal (Retd) (413/72) to arrive at a consensus on viable projects that can be taken up to honour the memory of Shri NBN Sir. The committee is undertaking a discussion and will make its recommendations soon.
Other points with Permission of the Chair: Nil
Points from the Patron Col A Rajiv (2053/90), Principal SSKZM: Nil
Election of Office Bearers for 2017 –18
7 As per the SSKZM OBA Bye Laws, all posts in the EC were vacated on 08 Jul 17 (OB Day). Shri Stephen Mathews K (28/65), senior most old boy, was the Returning Officer to elect the office bearers for 2017–18.
The list of new office bearers for 2017-18 are appended in Annexure IV