28 June 2014 | 45th Reunion Day - Sponsored by the 1989 Batch
1. The various activities that took place on 28 June 2014 (and earlier in connection with OB’s day) at SSKZM are as shown in the succeeding paragraphs:
0730h - Alumni arrive at School Campus
Alumni started arriving in the Campus as early as 0700. A total of 210 Alumni registered at the counter. The conducting batch (1989 batch) was in full strength with as many as 46 members with their family members attending. Rs.68500/- was collected as registration fee / sale of mementos. Thank you, 1989 batch, for attending in such large numbers.
0800h - Guard of Honour to & Wreath Laying Ceremony
Air Vice Marshal IP Vipin VM (877 / 79) was the Chief Guest. The school NCC contingent along with the Band provided the guard of honour in an impeccable manner. The CG inspected the guard of honour and then laid a wreath at the Stupa of Remembrance in memory of those alumni who laid their lives in the service of the nation. Vishnu Peethambaran, the Sword of Honour at IMA this year was also present (now an officer with 4 SIKH LI). Then, the Chief Guest and the Old Boys accompanied by the Offg Principal Lt Col Suresh Kumar PG (1764/87) and OBA President Dr.Mohanachandran(428/72) proceeded to the Hut of Remembrance where homage was paid to the departed Alumni and Teachers Then, everyone proceeded to the School Mess area, where AVM IP Vipin inaugurated the “TURNING POINT”, a corner dedicated to MP Anil Kumar (1122/81), made possible by his 1981 batch mates in the N J Nair AC, KC motivational hall. Adjacent to the School Mess, the motivational hall will feature all the achievements by the alumni of the school in order to motivate future generations of cadets.
Subsequently, everyone returned to the school academic block area. AVM IP Vipin inaugurated the newly built sunset point named Cherish Point—an open-air gallery behind the Stupa of Remembrance. Thereafter, ex-Master in Maths, Mr.Sreekumaran Chettiar, in the presence of AVM IP Vipin, present Masters, the 89 batch and other OBs including the President, OBA, inaugurated the Gurudakshina Project of 1989 batch—the renovated Staff Room. The total project outlay for the renovation was Rs.5 lakhs.
0900h - Commemoration Meeting And Address by Chief Guest at VKKM Auditorium
Cmde G Prakash (1064/81) started the proceedings with a moving tribute to MP Anil Kumar(1122/81) which was followed by 2 minutes silence in his memory. The commemoration meeting then moved on to the distribution of prizes sponsored by the OBA. The Chief Guest, Air Vice Marshal IP Vipin VM (877 / 79) distributed the prizes to the cadets who excelled in various areas in past academic year.
Among the prizes was a cheque for Rs.25000 sponsored by Lt Gen (Retd) Y Chacko Tharakan (381/70), AVSM, VSM for breaking his merit list ranking set in 1970. The cash prize went to Cadet Akash KR who stood 3rd in Merit in All India Merit List of UPSC NDA and Naval Academy this year.
OBA and the School felicitated the following illustrious alumni for their achievements in 2013 - 14 jointly :
1. Lt Gen (Retd) Y Chacko Tharakan, AVSM, VSM (381/70) for being awarded the Best Distinguished Alumni by IMA on 13 June 2014. The award has been instituted recently and Gen Tharakan is the first recipient of this award.
2. Lt Col PG Suresh Kumar (1764/87), Principal Sainik School for his yeoman services to SSKZM and the OBA and for being the first alumnus to become the Principal of SSKZM. Notable among his contributions to the OBA has been the sanctioning of a campus office, which was inaugurated by him and the President OBA jointly on 26 June 2014.
3. Christo Tomy (4075/2005 batch) for winning the award in the 'Best Debut Film of a Director' category at the 61st NATIONAL FILM AWARDS FOR THE YEAR 2013 (NON-FEATURE FILMS) for his movie, 'Kanyaka' (Malayalam).
4. Vishnu Peethambaran (4593/2010) for winning the SWORD OF HONOUR IMA Dehradun for Best All round Gentleman Cadet & Top in the order of merit. First from SSKZM to win this coveted award.
5. Cdt.Akash K R for standing third in Merit in All India Merit List of UPSC NDA and Naval Academy this year.
The OBA President also felicitated three General employees retiring this year with a ponnada and a gift during the OB Day:
1.Mr. Raju, Head Waiter
2.Mr. Krishnan Nair, Head Cook
3.Mr. Somanatha Panicker, Electrician
The OBA President and the Chief Guest unveiled the following new prizes respectively:
1. Mr.Simon Peter Memorial Book Review Trophy instituted by the OBA for the best house in book review competiton held for senior, junior, sub junior and holding house categories.
2. Gyan Anushasan Sahayog Trophy instituted by Lt Gen(Retd) Y Chacko Tharakan, AVSM, VSM (381/70) for best all rounder from 11 th std.
Subsequently, in a moving address, Air Vice Marshal IP Vipin engaged in a metaphorical take on Tagore’s famous poem from his magnum opus, Gitanjali—“Where the mind is without fear”—drawing parallels between the sublime lines and the education one receives at SSKZM. He requested the community to be supportive of each other and also exhorted the cadets to do well in life while promising them all the help from the senior Old Boys.
Dr. B Mohanachandran (428 / 1972), President, OBASSKZM thanked Air Vice Marshal IP Vipin and all the Cadets, Staff and Alumni for their active participation in all the events of thisyear’s OB day. Thereafter, all moved for Tea arranged just outside the auditorium.
1030h - Tea
1100h- AGB Meeting at VKKM Auditorium.( Minutes attached herewith )
1315h - Lunch for Alumni, Faculty, Class XII and all Cadet Appointments.
Sumptuous lunch was organised by SSKZM. OBA thanks the School Administration and Batch of 89 for the same. A total of 1100 pax approximately attended the lunch, which included Ex-Masters, OBs, spouses and children.
1400h- Magic Show for Ladies, children and cadets
1400h- Festival Cricket Match Principal's XI vs OBA XI.
The SSKZM team, in spite of the OBA putting up a fighting total of 99 runs in 15 overs, won this. The OBA score was largely due to Cmde G Prakash’s valiant knock of 42 runs. However, the other OLD Boys (including Wing Cdr Padmaraj and Captain Louis George) failed to impress.
1530h - Tea
1645h - Waterpolo, Basketball, Football and Volleyball matches and Prize Distribution for Festival Matches. Water-polo match was not held for lack of participation.
The SSKZM Team won the football match 1 - 0. The SSKZM team also won the volleyball match 2 - 0. However, the OBA Basketball team avenged the defeat in other games. The scores were initially tied at 12 all and were going neck-to-neck for a long time. However, the OBA team with stalwarts like Major Robin, Major Savit, Nelson, Mobin, Vishnu, Captain Louis George, Ahammed Sukarno, Akhil and others comfortably beat the School team by over 20 points.
Thereafter, a three-point shooting competition was held. The SSKZM team won the prize of Rs. 500/- for the competition.
1730 h - Departure of all Alumni and Families